Pico de Orizaba

Pico de Orizaba
Taken from Huatusco, Veracruz, the closest town to Margarita's family's ranch.

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Addressing important issues with inadequate information...

In Dr. David S. Grimes epidemiological study of world disease "Vitamin D and Cholesterol; the Importance of the Sun", he states that medical science has discovered 240 possible causes of Coronary Heart Disease.  However, the industry has the tendency towards focussing upon only 2 possible causes:  Diet and psychological factors (mainly stress).  

One of his statements I find most supportive of my experience with cardiologists over the past 3 years is  "The problem with Coronary Heart Disease is that we do not have a good understanding of it. But this is not generally understood."  

As I've found with my experience since the so-called heart attack of March 12th 2015, (normal cholesterol levels, moderate physical activity, very healthy diet, normal triglyceride levels, low levels of C-Reactive Protein, normal levels of homocysteine, blood pressure easily regulated with diet and sleep and without medication), Grimes mentions that within the medical science world "there are many dissenters from the conventional wisdom" due to important anomalies or paradoxes.  

'Discovery commences with awareness of anomaly'. If interventions based on incomplete understanding are not shown to be effective, then they should be withdrawn, but there is rarely the enthusiasm to do so: Professionals are very ready to apply their dogma to the population, even for the best of motives, but are very reluctant to reverse it.  It has been described well as 'the tyranny of health.'

I don't believe you can better phrase my experience with 3 of the 4 cardiologists I've seen over the past 3 years; 3 of them since March:  "The tyranny of health"... 

The problem with the cardiologists is that they don't want to pay attention to the anomalies...  the very clear and present paradoxes... I feel it very important to enter their consulting offices armed as would a trial lawyer entering the courtroom: with a pile of blood tests, toxicity tests, genetic tests, ecocardiograms and the rest of my medical history that they wish to believe is unrelated to my heart issue and their specialty...  

I'm in the process of creating a list:

1)  Mercury toxicity:  my level increases risk of acute myocardial infarction 30%

2)  Colectomies and J-Pouches create a tendency towards deficiency in Vitamin D (although the cause is not understood) that greatly raises the risk of hypertension.

3) Allergy to mold in water damaged buildings is one of 14 top causes of heart attacks (mercury toxicity is on that list too).

4)  Lead toxicity creates both a hightened risk of hemolytic anemia and pulmonary hypertension.

5)  I have a single mutation on two of my VDR genes that causes the risk of vitamin D deficiency.

6) I have 2 double mutations (from both parents) on the GCLC genes that increases the risk of hemolytic anemia and Acute Myocardial Infarction.

7)  I have 2 double mutations on the GSS genes that increases the risk of Glutathione Synthase Deficiency (which causes Gallstones--I had them 9 years ago--and atherosclerosis), Hemolytic Anemia and Pulmonary Hypertension.  

8) and now I'm reading about TMAO and its relationship with heart disease but caused by SIBO.  People with "short bowel syndrome" are both at hightened risk of SIBO, malnutrition and disnutrition, which puts them at hightened risk of heart disease...  

9) Testosterone suppresses FMO3 gene expression which decrease levels of TMAO blood circulation.  Hence,. men with low testosterone levels have greater risk of heart attack due to risk of higher levels of TMAO circulating in the blood... In May I had read that there was a connection between low levels of testosterone and heart disease.  But the scientists didn't know if low testosterone caused the heart disease or was caused by heart disease.  So, I had my testosteron levels checked and they came back low, which I showed the endocrinologist who didn't have time for working with me (too many patients).  But, if it the connection between Testosterone, FMO3 gene expression and the production of TMAO is correct, we have another cause of heart disease.  Hence, the cardiologist truly concerned with the health of their patient upon seeing their levels of testosterone should get on the phone with their endocrinologist colleague and suggest testosterone therapy for their patient...  Is this not logical? 

I recently developed a friendship with an investigator for the Guadalajara health department who connected me with his brother-in-law (gastroenterologist) and brother-in-law's wife (cardiologist), since it is very clear to me that the issue of my heart issues is greatly related to my preventative surgeries.  As I said to Margarita, what the cardiologists should first do when I enter their offices is ask themselves what makes me different from the general public of heart patients THE ANOMALY, and start looking at my health (possible causes) from there...  especially if I'm physically fit, my sodium level is low, my cholesterol and triglyceride levels are normal, my diet is healthier than the average person and I exercise regularly.  But, for some reason, the doctors don't want to look at the anomaly and don't want to consider the other 138 possible causes of heart disease.  

The first step to a cure is isolating the cause...  But if you are a doctor without the desire for isolating the cause, it is more probable that you are not being adequately effective for your patients' needs.

The nutrionist says, "Ross, you can't blame the doctors.  They're just a product of their environment.  In this situation, you've gotta be your own doctor.  Because they aren't trained to truly help you."  

So I order the exams they don't order... and I must find alternative ways of detoxifying myself in my household and... and I must experiment with supplements and herbal remedies and more diet changes...  

A friend of mine who sells Yucatan Guayaberas (a type of blouse for men typical of hot and humid Mexican regions) is married to a woman who had open heart surgery 12 years ago due to a heart murmur with the first surgeon to do a heart transplant in Guadalajara or Mexico... One day returning to our coffee bar in the October Fair of Guadalajara, I found Margarita talking to Nacho and his wife... about me... and my intensifying health issues... Nacho's wife suggested I visit with her surgeon... After explaining all of my conflicts with the short sighted cardiologists here, Nacho said, "Look Ross, if you're not going to move back to the U.S. and you're concerned about dying, I don't see how it could hurt going from Cardiologist to Cardiologist until you find one who is willing to truly listen to you.  Afterally, you are very intelligent and informed and giving up on the doctors means that all of your information will go to waste...  And his wife said, "How could it hurt calling my surgeon?  I'm living proof that he knew what he was doing... I've only seen him one time since the surgery, 11 years later as a nostalgia visit since my health has been perfect since the surgery."  

Being the product of my mother, I couldn't help but end the conversation asking for a recommendation of where I can find a pig farm with certified healthy pigs on the off chance that the surgeon suggests a heart transplant...  

No comments: