Pico de Orizaba

Pico de Orizaba
Taken from Huatusco, Veracruz, the closest town to Margarita's family's ranch.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Synovial Cysts, Fibrocystic Breasts and Flaxseeds...

I don't remember if I mentioned my synovial cyst on my left hand near the wrist...  It appeared somewhere in August or September.  By November it had become the size of a marble...  During this time Margarita visited with a doctor about certain "female problems".  I imagine I had mentioned an "argument" between the doctor and I about fat and inflamation.  The doctor diagnosed Margarita with Fibrocystic Breasts and said that Margarita shouldn't eat nuts or seeds and should take Vitamin E supplements;  This is actually where the argument truly began, since the best sources of Vitamin E is in seeds, such as Sunflower, Pumpkin and Sesame...  Plus, Vitamin E supplements give you very little of the actually vitamin E your body needs...  In any case, I was curious about why she (the doctor) would prohibit nuts and seeds for Fibrocystic Breasts and began investigating...

Some of the organizations specializing in Fibrocystic Breasts and Breast Cancer suggested against the consumption of nuts and seeds.  Some recommended increased consumption of nuts and seeds.  However, the organization most virulent against the consumption of nuts and seeds due to the idea of plant estrogen suggested that Flaxseeds, although containing plant estrogen, have been shown to reduce breast cancer tumors...

Since we were already consuming ground flaxseeds (although very sporadically) for increasing HDL cholesterol, it wasn't difficult to take the leap into increasing the "dosage".  The recommended dosage of flaxseeds for increasing HDL cholesterol is 5 tablespoons per day. I mix the flaxseed in lime water; 3-4 tablespoons and the juice of 2 limes in a large glass of water.  You must constantly stir the water, since the flaxseeds constantly settle to the bottom...

It wasn't until we were working in Leon (after José's accident) that I began "taking" the flaxseeds regularly.  Margarita also increased her consumption in the mornings...  Since Margarita and Nicolas were grinding the seeds every morning, there was always ample amounts of ground flaxseeds for me in the afternoon when I was in the apartment cooking...

No only was I taking the recommended serving (5 tablespoons) of flaxseeds, I was serving myself heaping tablespoons; I calculated that I was serving myself 1.5 tablespoons instead of 1, increasing my consumption to 8 tablespoons per day...

Two weeks after I began taking the flaxseeds daily, I noticed that my synovial cyst had decreased significantly.  Today, it is hardly visible.

Margarita also mentioned that she ceased experiencing pain in her breasts, although she was eating a good amount of chocolate and drinking a lot of coffee (working in the coffee bar for 26 days straight); no-no-s for fibrocystic breasts... The lumps still exist.  But, for the first time, they ceased causing discomfort.

No comments: